Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Day I Forgot To Put On My Face

Or alternatively titled: Why my eyebrows will conquer the world.

Recently I posted about how I had visited the Foxy Shoppe and had an impromptu photoshoot. That visit totally turned my day around and I had such a good time playing dress up. However a friend of a friend made sure to tell me a few days later: "Make sure you do your makeup before your next photoshoot. Because you're a cute girl."

Hmm. Because I'm a cute girl ... when I wear makeup? Honestly I was offended and more than a little incensed. I went home and wrote a very angry blog post but then decided to give myself some cooling off time before posting anything. Which was a really good call :P  However this event still bothers me and I'd like to tell you why.

I spent my 'turbulent teen' years waffling between two distinct styles: the uber goth - pasty white foundation, red lipstick and black eyeliner and the hippie - tie dye, unshaven legs and completely makeup free. Thankfully I've grown out of the awful foundation and tie dye but I still love a good cat's eye with bright red lips. But just as much I love being naturally me. It doesn't mean I'm sloppy. It means I like my face.

Hippie/Goth fusion? Awkward.

We, as human beings, are beautiful as we are. Don't get me wrong, I love playing with makeup. I have eyeshadows and lipstick in all colours of the rainbow! But it's just that - playing. There is a very serious trend going on where women are beginning to feel like they NEED to wear makeup. This NEED does two things: 1) gives men and women (and super importantly - children!) unrealistic expectations of beauty and 2) makes them feel bad about their bodies and faces as they naturally are. The beauty industry makes billions of dollars each year on everything from makeup (to hide those blemishes) to plastic surgery (fix what's wrong with your body!). This mentality has an underlying message: we are all ugly and without all of these products we will remain ugly. That is just not true. I don't want to live in a plasticized kind of world. Makeup, fancy hair and dress and all those extra grooming procedures can be fun but shouldn't be mandatory. We, as human beings, are beautiful as we are.


Taken from the Lingerie Addict
She has a wonderful article on Body Snark that I think everyone should read.

This is why I'm a big fan of the No Makeup Mondays movement. The concept is simple: on one day of each week women should go to work or school or out with friends sans makeup. Just to prove that not wearing makeup doesn't automatically revert someone to grungy sweatpants and crocs. You can have nice clothes, nice hair and a beautiful face without all the extra paint and powders.

Another thing this acquaintance told me? "Also, we're going to wax your eyebrows." Leave my eyebrows out of it. I've had people ask me if I pluck/wax/pencil or generally torture my eyebrows in any other way. The answer is no. Some people love their shape. Apparently others don't. I think they're great. They're hairy, sit on my brow, there's distinctly two of them ... they serve their function admirably. I'm not touching them. I love them as they are. I love me as I am. I can always strive to better myself - but not by being derogatory to who and what I am. Loving yourself is the most important thing you can do. So love yourself, as you are, unashamedly and you will hold a power that most people will envy.

Above - Anne Hathaway
As you can see, eyebrows serve a very important purpose.
Below - Daniel Radcliffe


Remember boys and girls: use makeup responsibly.

Saucily yours,
Miss Scarlet

4 comments:

  1. Dare I say you've raised a few eyebrows yourself, Miss Scarlet!
    Make-up is definitely viewed as an enhancement, but not a necessity for me. I frequently go to work without it, usually when I can't be bothered. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going natural!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Heather! :)
    I have to admit there are a lot of days when I can't be bothered to 'put on my face'. I wish more people were comfortable in their own skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its amazing the way women (and men) torcher themselves in the name of beauty. We rip hair off our bodies, apply chemicals, starve ourselves, obsess, deprive and berate ourselves. All in the hope that SOMEONE will say we are beautiful.

    Well folks, 100 people can say that you are beautiful, but if you do not truly believe it, the words mean nothing. Beauty comes from within and it is not a measure of your looks alone.

    This is who I am. Deal with it. I break out, I sweat, I like the wind-blown hair look, I often neglect to remove hair on parts of my body. But on the other hand, I like to dress up and knock out the world once in a while.

    ReplyDelete