Sunday, May 6, 2012

Break a Nipple! (Intro to Burlesque Workshop)

My Introduction to Burlesque workshop came and went and I am utterly exhausted.

I have to admit I ran the full gammut of emotions with this one. Exhilaration, amazement, bursting positivity, determination, self doubt, nervousness, downright terror. I've lead workshops before, in school and what not. Speaking in front of people is something I've pushed myself to do all my life so it's not so much an obstacle. It's more like old hat. So why the nerves?

I desperately wanted people to have fun. And while I was confidant that I could teach what I wanted people to learn and convey my information in a clear and coherent manner that doesn't necessarily make a workshop a good time. But! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I screwed my courage to the sticking point and away we went.

The gorgeous new facilities at Polefit Canada!

Firstly I was surprised at how many people showed up! There were eleven participants plus me, so twelve total. Then there the age range. The ladies who attended were anywhere from 18 to 50 (maybe older? But they sure didn't look it!) I was worried about attendance because for the longest time there were only three participants registered. I ended up roping my Mom into coming to fill out the numbers. I expected that to be a little bit awkward but as there was no nudity (we practiced taking off gloves, scarves and high heels) my Mom was totally relaxed and we both had a good time making eye contact and giggling. At one point she whipped out her ponytail and shook out her hair like being a sex siren was old hat to her. That wasn't a side of my Mom I'd ever seen before and I loved being there to witness her as a woman first, a mother second.

 K and K, two friends of mine, also came and had a blast! I was incredibly grateful to have familiar faces in my first workshop and being able to sneak up and whisper 'how'm I doing?' kept me rolling. I was super impressed with both of them! One K knew how to drop it like it's hawt - her booty pop put everyone else to shame. Other K took the moves I taught and put her own ballet spin on them. I swear the way arched over her chair and gracefully highlighted her form with a falling hand was straight out of the movie Black Swan. That's what I love most about burlesque- dance background, no dance background, it doesn't make a difference. Every woman moves differently and every woman showcases her own personality through her movements. I loved seeing the ladies in my workshop free of constraints.

It was pretty much this but with boas.

Carolyne, owner of PolefitCanada, attended the workshop and gave me some great feedback about formatting the next one (oy vey, were my feet killing me! More sit, less stand next time for sure!) Also having pre-made name tags with Burlesque names on them so ladies don't have to stress about making one up would have been stellar. I totally didn't think of that, but given extra time to prepare I could come up with a whole range of naughty names.

Workshop facilitator. That is so going on my resume. ;-D

Stay Saucy,
Miss Scarlet

No comments:

Post a Comment