Tuesday, May 8, 2012

1920's Costume Couture

A short time ago I was asked to perform a burlesque show for The Young Associates Black and White Gala fundraiser for the Asper School of Business. I said yes (of course!) but have been all aflutter trying to create and perfect multiple new routines. There's a finite limit to my creativity so I asked around for another burly girl to join me. Two is always better than one! Originally Queena Hearts was set to join me on stage but due to personal reasons she had to step down. (You should check her out on Facebook and send her some love <3) Thankfully the lovely Lizzie Lala stepped in to save the day! The two of us are putting our bosoms to the grindstone to make the best show we can for this coming Saturday.

The theme is 1920's and while the big band and jazzy songs of that era lend themselves perfectly to some sassy and sultry routines I'm having a devil of a time creating period costumes. I want to avoid the Hallowe'en-esque feeling of dressing up in something cheesy and cheap but at the same time cannot afford to splurge on true vintage garb. Not to mention that with a job (or two!) and school I'm definitely feeling the time crunch. I've got most of my costumes assembled but am still looking for some finishing touches. I can't give away too much before the show but I can post some pictures that are inspiring my costume couture.

1920's model showing off french lingerie

Entitled 'Stocking Swing'

Gloria Swanson featured in a series entitled 'Male and Female'

"I have stolen your granny's net curtains, and I won't give them back!" - we understand that is a verbatim quote from this dancer at the Moulin Rouge in Paris in 1926
Photograph: Rahma/Hulton Archive/Getty Images


A modern piece but I'm loving the plethora of pearls.

Vintage girl

Most of these came from The Lingerie Addict on Pinterest. If you don't already follow her blog I highly recommend that you do. She has so many relevant and helpful posts as well as great deals for online boutiques. Plus her pinterest is a treasure trove of amazing photos. Seriously, browsing through her collection is the best kind of research.

I'll keep you posted on the progress of my *first* professional show!

Saucily yours,
Miss Scarlet

No comments:

Post a Comment