Sunday, April 22, 2012

Fascination with Fascinators

Fascinators fascinate me.

I started collecting/wearing them a few years ago and the longer I wear them the more outrageous they get. For those who are unsure of what a fascinator is they're an ornamental hair piece and can consist of feathers, veils, flowers, jewels and any sort of thing you can think of. Most people will recognize them because Kate Middleton started wearing them during her engagement. All of a sudden everywhere I went I was bombarded with "Oh, you must be a big fan of the royal couple!" Please. Kate Middleton was imitating me.

Kidding! Fascinators date back centuries and in a decadent time were considered modest decoration. In today's fashion world they were being worn by likes of Dita Von Teese and other alternative models before Kate Middleton brought them mainstream. But then I guess if you look at it the other way around, the Queen was wearing them before Dita so maybe she took her cues from royalty. For a delightful write up on the history of fascinators you should visit Ooh La La Plume.

Sometimes my friends ask me how I'm so brave and say that they wish they had the guts to wear whatever they want. It's not really bravery. It's not giving a fuck. I tried to write that in a less offensive manner but really, there's no other way to word it. I've had people laugh and clap with delight when they see what I'm wearing. I've also had people ask why I'm wearing a bird on my head with scorn. Well let me tell you, life is too short to care about the people who think you're wearing a bird on your head. The people that you want to associate with are the people who will love your outfits when you go out on a limb and wear what you want. Kind of the same way that your friends will love you for you. The moral of this story: get used to what I'm wearing- on my head or otherwise- because it's only going to get wilder from here.

And now for some fascinators:

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

No.


Saucily yours,
Miss Scarlet

1 comment: