Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Drawn & Plastered: Talent Hunt Review

The idea of a craft sale and a performance at the same time is genius. Drawn & Plastered's Hunt for Talent was just that. The crafters in the back were crafty; the talent in the front was entertaining. The venue was interesting. Juss Jazz is very long and very narrow which worked well as a counter separated the room in the middle, making two cozier spaces for the sale and the show. I didn't get to stay for as long as I would have liked due to a headache but this is what I got to experience:


The crafters were amazing! Talk about talent! There was a chain mail booth as well as a steampunk jewelry table. Randy Randell makes Thorgrid Jewelry and if you or a loved one likes this crazy crazy thing called steampunk then a piece from him is an awesome gift idea. There was also a homemade knitted baby Cthulhu rattle. Heather Bays said it was a popular seller among males - uncles and the like. Males? If I ever become the godmother/aunt/babysitter or official bad influence of a child they are ALL getting CTHULHU RATTLES. You can thank me now.






The most breathtaking table had hand tooled leather corsets! Shauna Davidson is the artisan behind WildeMaide LeatherCraft. I was already planning a steampunk outfit for Comicon (omg nerd I know) and these fit in perfectly with my idea! Plus I already dress like it's Halloween every other day of the year so I'll be able to incorporate it into my everyday wardrobe.






The talent included a magic show - who doesn't love a good old fashioned parlour trick? There was a really neat one with a five dollar bill appearing out of a piece of cheese. There was also a musician by the name of Scarlet O'Hara who looked like a member from Kiss and who sang/rasped his way through a few rock songs.


By that point my migraine was in full swing and I had to leave the venue due to nausea and swimming vision. I should really pay better attention to my body's 'slow down' signs but then life would be really, really boring. I didn't have the energy to perform and I really wish I could have but the fourteen hours of sleep that followed when I got home was a magic act in itself. ; )


The Queen of Hearts garter by Glass Coffin Designs. Yum!


The winners of the Talent Hunt were first place: Andrea Marincil with Glass Coffin Designs and second place: Sarah Putnam singing Back in Black. I'm sorry I missed out on their acts! 


Andrea Marincil designs lingerie meant to look and feel vintage. You can look through her amazing artistry at Glass Coffin Designs or check out her work on Facebook.

Saucily yours,
Miss Scarlet





No comments:

Post a Comment