Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Burlesque Assasins!

On April 10th I went to the Winnipeg premiere of The Burlesque Assassins at Towne 8. This hilariously campy movie is set before and after WWII and revolves around KGB spy Katarina Molotov and US Secret Agent Johnnie Valentine who join together (in more ways than one) to create the Burlesque Assassins, an elite guild of assassins whose goal is to Seduce and Destroy the Third Reich.

Bourbon Sue (Roxy D'Lite) is a small town girl from Windsor, Ontario who is taken under Johnnie Valentine's wing to become a Burlesque Assassin and has to learn on the job with coworkers Coco LaDouce and Belle Bombshell in order to stop a secret post war plot to reunite three parts of a secret code that will activate a nuclear powered Nazi death ray. With the fake German accents and characters such as Clone Hitler and Billy Mussolini Jr. this is a B Movie in all it's gory glory. Yet as horrible as the lines and plot may be the burlesque acts in this movie are amazing! Glittering costumes and intricate acts help move the plot along, with everything from fan dances to puppetry. There is an aerial routine that was absolutely jaw dropping for the finale. This movie made me laugh, cringe and applaud. I'm so glad I got to see the only theatre showing in Winnipeg. Plus it was a fundraiser for the Roller Derby. What's not to love?

For dressing 'burlesque' I received a large movie poster! I can hardly wait to hand it in my new place.

I wore my new Rockabetty dress and met up with Miss Robin Red Breast who had the same idea - leopard print for the win! Miss Heather, D and M came out to enjoy the show all dolled up too. As it happened there was a "burlesque" outfit contest before the show. I ended up going to the show straight from work but if I'd known sooner I might have worn some pasties on the job! My bosses might have been a bit scandalized what with that pesky workplace dress policy and all. :P Regardless, we all looked glamorous.

For dressing up (such a hardship, I tell you) the lovely ladies at the Roller Derby table outside the theater gave us movie posters. I can't wait to frame and hang this bad boy! I really hope this movie comes out on DVD so I can own it.

Saucily yours,
Miss Scarlet

No comments:

Post a Comment