Saturday, May 25, 2013

Shamrock Shaker

So this happened:

And it rocked.

The evening started off with the Rockabetty models meeting at the shop in Osborne Village for hair and make up. Now, I can make myself look presentable but when you have professionals attending to your toillette the outcome is amazing! My hair was done in a corner of the shop after which I trotted upstairs to Luna Spa for the best make over. I hadn't even known Luna Spa was there but apparently they opened up recently and offer professional make up services as well as manicures, pedicures and massages. When we were all suitably dolled up we drove over to the Reagle Beagle to get the party started. The Fashion Show began with Rockabetty. They had three lines going; cherries, leopard print and purple. I was lucky enough to model a dress from their cherries line, a beautiful red summer dress that was so comfortable it was almost like wearing sweatpants but a million times more gorgeous. There's nothing worse than being overheated and in super tight clothes. This dress was airy and had that lovely 'swish' going on at the skirt. It's the kind of dress that keeps you cool while looking hot.

 (Unless otherwise stated, all event photos courtesy of Bradley Mazur)

Mmm scarlet .... I think that's my colour.

The models changed in the bathroom which was maybe not the best of choices - the floor hadn't been washed and a lot of us had to change our stockings to match various dresses. There was also only one washroom for the models and the attendees- boy were they surprised to walk in to find a room full of half undressed ladies! With clothes flying everywhere and last minute touch ups to hair and make up the backstage area was hectic but fun and full of laughter. I changed out of the red dress to model a leopard print number from Rockabetty's sexy line. This dress is so amazing I took it home. It makes me feel incredibly attractive but it's classy in that 50's, don't have to show a lot of skin way. I've worn this to work several times as well as out on the town and I've received so many compliments on it.

Here kitty-kitty. ;)

When the Rockabetty models had finished the Foxy Shoppe ladies took a turn on the floor. They kicked off the show with the new lingerie they had gotten in - meow! More leopard print with matching bras and girdles. They had both small and plus sizes in red and black with leopard print accent down the middle. I seriously want!

King Cabernet took over at this point in the evening for some rockin' dance music with a St. Patty's Day flair. The "runway" turned into a dance floor. The Reagle Beagle was packed - I've been there before for events but I've never seen that many people on the dance floor. It was fantastic. When the burlesque portion of the evening arrived the dance floor cleared out and became a stage. It was MC'd by the hilariously funny Heather Witherden. Miss La Muse started us off with her infamous Potions Dance. This is my favourite routine that she does as she drinks a "magic potion" that makes her body start dancing against her will. It really show cases the skill she has not only dancing but in acting too.

"Nerd Girl loses her inhibitions" Photo by Oleh Stolarskyj


Miss Robin Red Breast (who recently made her very own Facebook page! Give it a 'like'!) debuted a new rockabilly routine that I didn't get to catch as I was backstage. From the hooting and hollering going on during it the audience definitely gave it a good review.



I did get to see the lovely Ruby RedLip's Dorothy-esque routine. She went from good girl to watch out! This sexy lady wasn't in Kansas anymore. ;-) A glitch in the music at the wrong (or very right) time had Miss Ruby swinging her bra and bobbing for a good two minutes while the staff tried to get the music back up and running. I think the audience loved that part especially - I know I did! Ruby was such a good sport about it too, hamming it up to the audience. The show must go on! And when they got the music going again she finished her routine without being phased in the least.



Finally it was my turn and I have to admit, I was a wee bit worried about my routine being a little too raunchy. However, it was St. Patty's Day and it called for good Irish drinking song! Flogging Molly's Salty Dog was my poison. I swaggered and I staggered and jigged in some bloody-high heels- I impressed myself with that one- and I had a great time. It was especially cool that all four of us girls had incredibly varied acts. There was something for everyone.





The evening finished with the Go go bops getting everyone dancing again. And boy, did we dance! I couldn't help thinking all night long that this was the best time I'd had in a long time. That's Saint Patty's Day for you, and I was in good company. My boyfriend won a door prize - a necklace and lovely hair fascinator - and despite the fact that I've assured him they would look fantastic on him he gave them to me.

There's only St. Patty's Day beads in there ... I swear!

I'm not sure I could say what the best part of the evening was. It really was a magical evening - perhaps the work of a leprechaun or two.

The Burly Girls!

The cherry on top of it all was that the event was a fundraiser for Winnipeg's own Rockabilly Festival - the River City Rumble! Check out their Facebook page for more details.


Saucily yours,
Miss Scarlet

No comments:

Post a Comment