Thursday, January 3, 2013

Winter Solstice - Happy New Year

~*~Happy Solstice~*~

"Whatever you dream you can do - begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.
Begin it now." (Goethe)

Maybe I'm a suck but I feel like there really is a fresh start waiting for people in the New Year. The only other times of the year that I truly feel like I can turn a new leaf are a) my Birthday and b) September (which, technically, is the school bound equivalent of New Years). However, I like to cheat a lil' bit. I use the time between the Winter Solstice and New Year's Day to create lists, compare goals and results and get a head start on any resolutions I come up with. That way come January I've already got a new exercise regime in place - or at least, that's the plan.

So to recap this year: How did I fare? Not so great. I had a wicked flu in February which turned into strep-like mono, accentuated by a toothache, and visually enhanced by a lovely full body rash that arrived because I took an antibiotic that reacts badly to the mono virus. As a result I had to drop a couple courses which pushed back my graduation date, was too exhausted to exercise and ... Holy Excuses Batman! Still, I managed to do some fairly awesome things when I take the time to think about it. Which I need to remind myself to do.
Year In Review:
R.I.P 2012 (2012-2012)


Biggest high five to myself: Performed burlesque for the first time last December.

- Not only performed Burlesque for the first time but have had several gigs over the past year. A couple of them were lucrative but all of them were fun! I think I've become addicted to the performance high.

-Made a TON of new friends. I consider myself to be more introvert than extrovert but this year I've come into contact with so many amazing people I can hardly believe it. Other performers, vintage style enthusiasts, strong willed and intelligent women & honest-to-goodness gentlemen. And the greatest thing is that all of us want to help each other along with our dreams. **Major shout-out to Miss Pamela Fox and her Foxy Shoppe bombshells**

-Organized my own show! Now THAT was a challenge. But Hallowe'en came and the show was phenomenal. I had so many great people who volunteered to help make the show a success. I think this was definitely my biggest accomplishment.

-Taught an introduction to burlesque class

-Started modelling: Take THAT body image issues!

-Finished off my final university courses! Look out degree, here I come!

-Kicked my writing butt by volunteering in a writing festival & having an article published in an online 'zine. BOOYAH

-And, oh yeah ... started this totally awesome blog. ;-)

Overall not too shabby. My general feeling of 2012 was that it definitely was not my best year, but upon some serious reflection I have to admit that I kicked some serious tushy. Now to bring that attitude with me into
*2013*


It's a brand new year! So here is a brand new list of goals:

1- Get Healthy

Meaning get in shape (seriously, for the people who take the time to make lists, who doesn't have this written down?) and start eating better. I know that personally I need to take a class in order to motivate myself to exercise. It's more fun when I work out with a friend but it's even better when both my mind and body are engaged. I attempted a Zumba class this past fall and found it wasn't for me. This year I want to try something new again- like yoga or bellydancing- or find another place that offers pole fitness classes. I absolutely love working out on a pole. I feel sexy and fit all at the same time. Plus it's dancing so it doesn't feel like a workout until my abs start aching the next day. I've toyed with the idea of buying my own pole. If I could only convince my boyfriend he doesn't really need his damage deposit back ....

As for eating better I think I've hit white wine and junk food rock bottom in that department. More fruits and veggies are on my radar. Perhaps I should take a cooking class - I would eat way better if I made my own meals more often.

2- Write!

My dream for as long as I can recall has been to write a novel. Not necessarily the great Canadian novel, but a book that others can get sucked into the way I seem to melt into the lives of my favourite characters. It seems surreal to me that I've gone out and done burlesque but not written more than 50 pages. I've been writing and dancing for roughly the same number of years. This year I want to sit down and devote myself more seriously to the idea of an oeuvre.

I also want to start posting to this blog on a regular basis. One of my inspiring new friends over at Skirting The Issue has a great system of 5's. She posts every 5th, 15th and 25th days of the month. I think I'll try out this formula. Also, you can lookout for some cross posting between our blogs in the near future!

3- Tightlacing

I've got an entirely different post for this one. But's it's on the list.

4- Be A Grown Up

Move out. Be responsible. Eat ice cream for breakfast. Well, I'm lactose intolerant so maybe not ice cream. But you get the idea.

5- More Burlesque!

I've got troupes, costumes, group numbers and horror themes on the brain! Look out Winnipeg, this is going to be the year you will be taken by storm! 

Anyone else into the whole resolutions kick?



Stay saucy,
Miss Scarlet

1 comment:

  1. You also need to resolve to go to Viva with me :P

    ReplyDelete