Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Two Words: Portable Shade

Screw fifty shades (of grey), it is way too hot outside - and not in a good way. This whole summer the only shade I've been craving is the kind that shields my poor, ghosty skin from the effect I like to call "lobstering". I don't tan, I blister. Return to white, repeat cycle. But it ends here! This summer my saving grace has been my umbrella. Ideally I would have a parasol but I'm on a budget and my 'brolly is pretty enough to pass as a parasol for now.

After a mild sunburn on my face and chest in the spring I decided to heck with this heat. I appreciate that others live for the summer months but I'm an autumn gal through and through. I still haven't found a sunscreen that is more than SPF 15, doesn't clog my pores and doesn't feel like I'm slathering my skin in margarine. And even if my skin is protected from burning I overheat quick. Enter the best idea ever: portable shade.




Parasols have been around for ages and have a lengthy history, but most people think 'Victorian' when they think of or see a parasol. The Victorian era saw the unprecedented rise in popularity of the parasol as a fashion accessory. A lady in that age wouldn't be caught dead with sun browned skin, it was a sign of having to work and therefore not considered to be genteel. They didn't have sunscreen and with the heavy weight of all the clothing they wore an extra shawl would have been unbearable. The parasol was the perfect accessory for a walk in the park.


Fashion has changed but pale skin or fake tans are becoming the thing again. And parasols today range from the classically simple to incredibly ornate. Skin cancer is a serious risk health risk, one that parasols can prevent- and with style. Whether you opt for an oriental paper style or lace trimmed with ribbons a lady can find the perfect parasol to accent her wardrobe.


Alternative model Amber Gabriel/Ghettoblaster by Cherry Photography, bringing the parasol back in style 

I love it when old fashioned ideas come back in style. I still get strange looks or people asking if I think it's going to rain- which, to be fair, is a legit question seeing as how I'm using my umbrella. But a lot of people have also complimented me on having such a brilliant idea. Especially when I'm waiting for the bus and there's no shade to be seen. Next summer I'll be sure to have a proper parasol and hopefully I'll be seeing a few more around town.

EDIT: I was going to wait to take a photo of me and my parasol before posting but a rather blustery day managed to turn my umbrella inside out and break one of the tines. A quick repair job should fix it right up but that's always a danger when you live in Winnipeg. It can get pretty windy, especially down town! However I'm still set on getting myself a pretty parasol for next year.

Stay Saucy!
Miss Scarlet

No comments:

Post a Comment